Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wwoofing at Chateau Brandeau, otherwise entitled, "Whatever you´re doing - stop doing it!"

June 29th, Reykjavik, Iceland.

I spent almost two weeks working (volunteering in exchange for room and board, really) at Chateau Brandeau, in Castillion, France. Castillion is a small area in the Bordeaux region, in between Libourne and Bergerac, and it is absolutely gorgeous. Despite the fantastic countryside, after three days of partying in Stockholm, facing a seven hour work day of hard labor in the vineyard was a bit shocking. On Friday we working in the pouring rain for hours, weeding, grabbing, pulling, bending, clipping. At the end of seven hours of work I was ready to get on the next train out of there . . . I didn´t really care where to, just anywhere I wouldn´t have to work so hard!

Luckily Saturday and Sunday turned out to be lovely days. The family who runs the organic vineyard at Chateau Brandeau is really very nice, and they took us Wwoofers to Sainte Foy for the market on Saturday morning. Wandering through this 12th century French town, amidst the cheese stands, butchers, spices, books . . . I fell in love with southern France. Everything was lovely, old, and just full of character, romance and beauty. I had never really been interested in France before, but a love affair was just beginning. My interest more than doubled the next day when we attended the féte in Saint Emillion. For 2€ each we sampled dozens of Saint Emillion wines, including some Grand Cru. There was also cheese, olives and chocolate to sample, and the entire experience was a ton of fun. In addition to the wine tasting, we also had time to explore the town, which was even lovelier than Sainte Foy. We explored caves underneath the town that had been turned into wine cellars, a lovely cloister and a gorgeous church. Live music and lovely cookies with marzipan added to the glory of that Sunday.

The next week was filled with 7 hours work days, long delicious lunches, dinner full of wine, clue tournaments, cards, conversations and friends. I really enjoyed the people I met at Brandeau. I wish I could say I enjoyed the work, but to be honest it was the hardest physical labor I have ever done. I definitely think it was character-building, however. Every day I wanted to just bolt and go back on vacation, but I stuck it out . . . I could just feel my character growing!

In addition to working in the vines (levage, relevage and enpomprage) I also helped feed the chicken & collect eggs. Some Canadians and I had the fun task of labeling and packaging bottles of wine for a large Japanese order. I´m not being sarcastic, it was actually really fun playing with the giant labeling machine, however finicky its behavior!

I was lucky enough to get to meet up with my brother Nick and his girlfriend Valerie at the end of my time at Brandeau. It was amazing to see them and to meet Valerie for the first time (she is terrific!). They are planning on working at Brandeau for THREE months. All I can say is that I couldn´t do it. My love and best wishes are with them and the family at Brandeau - thank you!

2 comments:

test said...

I was just doing some searching for 'chateau brandeau' after feeling nostalgic about my trip there in 2005, and stumbled upon your blog post. Thanks for sharing stories of your time there!

Unknown said...

Hey there. I was googling Chateau Brandeau to see if they have a facebook page and came up with your blog. Love your post -- we worked at Chateau Brandeau together! I'm Lindsay from Virginia...don't know if you remember me...thanks for bringing back some great memories!