Saturday, March 15, 2008

Anna Walks on a Glacier

Saturday March 15 8:15 pm El Calafate, Argentina





"People say that what we are all seeking is a meaning for life. I don't think this is what we're really seeking. I think what we're seeking is an experience of being alive."~ The Power of Myth - Joseph Campbell ~








Yesterday I walked on a glacier and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! To be surrounded by ice, working hard physically with a slight fear that something awful could happen . . . I felt so alive! I can´t wait until I can load the pictures and share them with all of you!



interupted, and picked back up on Wednesday, March 19 at 3pm



I arrived in El Calafate on March 13th and was greated by Federìco waiting to take us to America del Sur . . . the hostel to be at in Calafate. The hostel is large and friendly, and the staff (Federìco, Juan y Ivan) always remembers my name. I´m always greeted by a happy, "¡Anita! ¿Qùe Tal?" when ever I walk in to the place. They have been a huge help with organizing my trip and I will miss them!

(Juan and I in the downstairs bar/lounge area)


That afternoon I headed out for empanadas (I have eaten so many empanadas . . .) and bumped into two Aussie guys, Wade and Craig who I kept bumping into for a few days. We all had the all you can eat Asado feast at the hostel that night . . . 45 pesos (about $15 U.S.) for all you can eat steak, chorizo, wine and beer. After much wine and beer we (a large group including folks from the U.S., Oz, and few other places) had a Twister tournament, and I´m happy to say that I was indeed the victor.



On the 14th I did the mini-trekking on the Perito Moreno glacier, which was absolutely incredible. Just viewing the glacier was mind-blowing, have never seen a glacier up close (or at all?) in my life. I can´t imagine my pictures will do it any justice, but I took plenty. The trekking was great, and the handsome guides Martìn and Diego were very solicitous and took good care of us. It was exhilarating walking on ice and thinking that the only thing supporting you was frozen water. The extraordinary blue colors, the sink-holes and the layering were beautiful and I felt fully alert and alive. People kept commenting on my ridiculously huge smile, so my enjoyment must have been showing! At the end of the 1.5 hour trek we were served whiskey with ice from the glacier and some alfojores (cookies with dulce de leche- caramel- in the middle). I returned to Calafate for more empanadas and wine.



Food note: I´ve been carrying peanut butter, honey, fruit and hard boiled eggs with me to make sure I have protein, etc. Don't worry Mom!



On Saturday I did the "all-glacier" tour, an all-day boat tour where we viewed over 5 other glaciers, and had a lovely walk around a glacier-lined lake. The glaciers were gorgeous, but by the end of the day I had definitely had my fill of ice!



Next chapter - Anna Goes Camping, in which our ####### hikes up a hill with full camping gear, is thwarted by an enormous bird of unknown species, is rescued by a helpful group of wacky Americans, and proceeds to commit a serious camping faux pas.


Pictures coming soon, hopefully.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Anna! It's Cate (your cousin). Tomorrow is Easter and my family is in charge of dessert. (We're all going to Nana and Pop Devey's) We picked up an amazing looking Stew Leonard's cake which is entirely chocolate for your mother's birthday. We also got a Boston Cream cake (my choice) and some flying saucers. I hope we have enough for everyone!
Have a nice Easter where ever you are!!!!! We all love and miss you!